May 7, 2011

Low-Fat Bran Muffins. Yes Please.

So, we are trying to eat healthier. As I mentioned earlier, I signed up for a triathlon...then there's this 10 year high school reunion thing. I don't know what it is about those type of events, but it seems significant that you look your best, right?! After doing rip:60 and being in the best shape of my life, I got super crazy at work and fell off the exercise wagon. Now, I have started the rip:60 program again, running on the treadmill and trying to eat healthier.

I totally admire those people who eat healthy ALL the time. I can't do it! It's so hard to discipline myself to make healthy choices every single day of my life. I go in phases. Eat whatever I want and gorge myself silly, then I will start eating healthy TOMORROW. Haha!

Right now, I'm trying to stick to a 1200 calorie diet. Chris is eating 1420. Some days, many more calories are consumed, but that's how life goes. :) Since I started working at Icon, I've spoken with numerous nutrition and fitness guru's about a healthy diet and I've become much more aware of what I'm consuming day to day. Our trainer has put it this way: Say, you drive a Ferrari. You're not going to put the cheapest fuel or the lowest grade of fuel in your Ferrari, but you are going to put the best fuel in so it performs the fastest and most reliable. We need to treat our bodies like the Ferrari and take care of them by fueling them with good, nutrient dense substances.

On that note: I made some low-fat bran muffins to curb my craving for Temptation Cupcakes!(have you tried those yet?) OMG. Sooo good (and so worth it!).

Anyways...the recipe for the yummy low-fat bran muffins are as follows:

  • 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
  • 1 cup nonfat milk
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup blueberries
You can find the directions here.

Photos by Me.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

I have gotten so bad about what I eat since I had a baby and I really need to start watching what I eat. I'll have to try this recipe. I crave Temptation Cupcake every day so it's probably a good thing I don't live in Logan anymore.

Jennie Kunz said...

OH YUM! Thanks!